Polio Home > Polio Vaccine Side Effects
Some of the common side effects that have been reported with the polio vaccine include tiredness, tenderness at the injection site, and irritability. When serious side effects do occur, they can include trouble breathing, hoarseness, and wheezing. However, most side effects are minor, meaning that the symptoms improve on their own or are easily treated by the healthcare provider.
- Irritability -- in up to 64.5 percent of people
- Tiredness -- up to 60.7 percent
- Tenderness at the injection site -- up to 29.4 percent
- Loss of appetite -- up to 16.6 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 2.8 percent
- Persistent crying -- up to 1.4 percent
- Redness at the injection site -- up to 1 percent.
- Trouble breathing
- Pale skin
- Fast heartbeat
- High fever
- Behavior changes.